Generally, digital business consultants work with their clients’ data to provide insight on strategy, planning, and problem solving for their businesses. Consultancy firms provide services across all segments of businesses, from HR and marketing, to IT and finance. The wide-ranging aspects of consulting work make it an appealing career, “offering a variety of projects, challenges and opportunities for personal development” . In order to better understand what digital business consultants do, this article will explain three major areas of their daily tasks, which include performing a current-state assessment of a company, planning and developing a digital strategy roadmap, and evaluating UX/UI to ensure customer satisfaction.
Digital business consultants will first conduct a comprehensive analysis with key stakeholders across all internal business silos to determine what is out-dated or what needs improvement. By taking a 360-degree view of businesses’ digital landscapes, they will evaluate organisations’ digital capabilities against industry standard best practices and emerging trends.
There are two steps in performing a current-state assessment:
- Scope – Digital business consultants will work with leadership staffs to establish the scope of the digital assessment, which may include operational processes, customer touch points, and data integration abilities.
- Evaluate – They will then conduct an assessment to identify and record current strengths, limitations, opportunities, and risks across the digital competence assessment scope.
After performing an in-depth assessment, digital business consultants will plan and develop a digital strategy roadmap to provide actionable recommendations.
There are three steps in establishing a digital strategy roadmap for execution:
- Define – Digital business consultants will determine digital goals and strategies according to the findings of the digital competence assessment, industry best practices, and prominent on-going trends.
- Identify – They will then decide approaches, operating models, and technical facilitators to accomplish the outlined digital goals and strategies.
- Plan – At last, they will create a roadmap of opportunities depending on configuration, prioritization, threats and effects (e.g. consumers, and goods and services).
After implementing digital solutions, digital business consultants will evaluate and ensure that the whole process is on the right track. In particular, digital business consultants will always keep their eyes on UX/UI to ensure that customers are engaged with the brands and that the companies remain competitive in the market. It is important to be more user-centric when implementing digital solutions because consumer satisfaction is the key to success. Therefore, all business systems, websites, and mobile applications should be easily accessible, intuitive, and pleasant to use. UX should also be consistent regardless of desktops or mobile devices in order to achieve business optimisation.
The ultimate goal of digital business consultants is to make businesses successful through digital transformation. The major tasks of digital business consultants are analysing a business’ data, understanding the client’s requirements, and providing actionable digital solutions to achieve business optimisation. Therefore, it is vital to have the ability for client handling, listening, strategic planning, and business analysis in order to be a good and accountable digital business consultant.